THE SMOKING FURNACE AND THE BURNING LAMP
Gen15:1-9 After these things the word of Yahweh came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward. 15:2 And Abram said, my Sovereign Yahweh, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus? 15:3 And Abram said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, one born in my house is mine heir. 15:4 And, behold, the word of Yahweh came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir. 15:5 And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be. 15:6 And he believed in Yahweh; and he counted it to him for righteousness. 15:7 And he said unto him, I am Yahweh that brought thee out of Ur of the Chaldees, to give thee this land to inherit it. 15:8 And he said, my Sovereign Yahweh, whereby shall I know that I shall inherit it? 15:9 And he said unto him, Take me an heifer of three years old, and a she goat of three years old, and a ram of three years old, and a turtledove, and a young pigeon.
Gen 8:20 And Noah builded an altar unto Yahweh; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.
- The first thing that Noah did after leaving the Ark.
15:10 -16 And he took unto him all these, and divided them in the midst, and laid each piece one against another: but the birds divided he not. 15:11 And when the fowls came down upon the carcases, Abram drove them away. 15:12 And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and, lo, a horror of great darkness fell upon him. 15:13 And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years; 15:14 And also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance. 15:15 And thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace; thou shalt be buried in a good old age. 15:16 But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full.
- Yahweh was waiting for the Amorites to fulfill their iniquity.
- Moses and Aaron were the fourth from Levi
- Caleb from Judah;
- Or rather this was in the fourth age or century from the birth of Isaac, when the four hundred were up before mentioned,
- Men living at that time about an hundred years:
15:17 And it came to pass, that, when the sun went down, and it was dark, behold a smoking furnace, and a burning lamp that passed between those pieces.
- Emblem of the great troubles and afflictions of the children of Israel in Egypt
- Called the iron furnace
Deut 4:20 But Yahweh hath taken you, and brought you forth out of the iron furnace, even out of Egypt, to be unto him a people of inheritance, as ye are this day.
- May have respect to the furnaces in which they burnt the bricks they made
A burning Lamp
- A burning lamp, that passed between those pieces.
- Emblem of the Shechinah, or majesty of Yah.
- Who afterwards appeared in a pillar of fire before the Israelites in the wilderness
- After their deliverance out of Egypt
- And when their salvation went forth as a lamp that burneth, of which this was a token
- This burning lamp passed between the pieces of the heifer, goat, and ram, that Abram had divided in the midst, as was usually done when covenants were made
Jer 34:18 And I will give the men that have transgressed my covenant, which have not performed the words of the covenant which they had made before me, when they cut the calf in twain, and passed between the parts thereof
Gen 15:18 In the same day Yahweh made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:
- Here Yah made a covenant with Abram.
- As a confirmation of it, passed between the pieces in a lamp of fire
- Showing that he was and would be the light and salvation of his people.
- Abram's seed, and an avenger of their enemies
- Only Yah passed between the pieces, not Abram
- This covenant being as others Yah makes with men, only on one side
- Yah, in covenanting with men, promises and gives something unto them
- But men give nothing to him
- But receive from him.
- As was the case between Yah and Abram.
- However, it is very probable, that this lamp of fire consumed the pieces, in like manner as fire from heaven used to fall upon and consume the sacrifices.
- In token of Yah's acceptance of them.