Torah Portion Ex.17:8-13
Battle With Amalek
- Ex.17:8 Amalek attacked Israel.
- Ex.17:9 Moses‘s plan for the battle.
- 17:10 Joshua fought the battle while Moses and Aaron and Hur went to the top of the hill.
- 17:11-12 Moses hands up Israel wins .Moses hands down Amalek wins the battle.
- Ex.17:13 And Joshua discomfited Amalek and his people.
First battle after leaving Egypt.
- Israel had to fight the battle themselves.
- Yahweh Himself fought the battle when Israel left Egypt.
- Pharaoh attacked Isarel.Israel was leaving Egypt.
- Amalek attracted Israel from the back.Deut.25:17-18
Ex.17:8 Then came Amalek, and fought with Israel in Reph-i-dim.
- Rephidim = "rests" or "stays" or "resting places" 1) A station of Israel in the wilderness between Egypt and Sinai.
- Desert No water. Israel was faint and weak.
Ex.17:9 And Moses said unto Joshua, Choose us out men, and go out, fight with Amalek: tomorrow I will stand on the top of the hill with the rod of Elohim in mine hand.
- Moses becomes the prophet. (Intercessor)
- Joshua becomes the leader in battle.
- Why did Moses stand on top of the hill?
- Why did he have the rod of Yahweh in his hand?
Ex17:10 So Joshua did as Moses had said to him, and fought with Amalek: and Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill.
- Type of Yahshua He was the greatest prophet. After he obtained our salvation he became our intercessor and High priest and on his second coming He will be our king.
Ex.17:11-12 And it came to pass, when Moses held up his hand, that Israel prevailed: and when he let down his hand, Amalek prevailed. 17:12 But Moses' hands were heavy; and they took a stone, and put it under him, and he sat thereon; and Aaron and Hur stayed up his hands, the one on the one side, and the other on the other side; and his hands were steady until the going down of the sun.
- Moses was putting his faith in Yahweh by holding up his hands.
- As long as Moses was reaching out to Yahweh Israel was winning.
- We need to always to reach out to Yahweh and He will fight our battles.
- When we come to assembly and in worship reach out to Yahweh we receive strength to win our battles.
- If all we do is backbiting we will receive that reward.
- Like Moses we need the Stone under us .The corner Stone that our structure is built on.
- Like Aaron and Hur we need to hold up our leadership instead of letting them down.
- Why do some people just want to tear down others dreams?
Ex.17:13 And Joshua discomfited Amalek and his people with the edge of the sword.
- I am going to rely on Yahweh to fight my battles. So look out!!! Watch out for the sword.