Why Does Man Fall Into Idolatry
Ki Tissa - When You Elevate
Exodus/Shemot 30:12-34:35; 1 Kings 18:1-39
- Man is created with the propensity to worship something.
- So if he fails to worship the true Elohim and Creator of all, he will worship something in His creation in some form.
- We will reflect the image of what we worship.
- That object of our worship will control us.
- There is no other alternative except to worship ourselves, the work of our hands
- The physical creation.
- The only One who is worthy of our adoration, praise and worship.
- True worship involves submission, faith and obedience to Yahweh.
- All these things were lacking in Israel as a result of their forced submission to cruel taskmasters.
- The journey in the wilderness was a testing ground that they might know what was in their hearts and learn to love and obey Yahweh.
- Yahweh often allows circumstances to test us to see if we will remain faithful to Him or turn to the tangible things to meet our needs and satisfy our souls.
- Our eyes need to be continually beholding the One who is unseen, so that we do not become pre-occupied with the things which are seen.
Col. 3:2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
Ex. 33:16 For wherein shall it be known here that I and thy people have found grace in thy sight? is it not in that thou goest with us? so shall we be separated, I and thy people, from all the people that are upon the face of the earth.
- The Sabbath is created in the very beginning for the whole of creation.
Gen. 2:1-3 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. 2:2 And on the seventh day Elohim ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. 2:3 And Elohim blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which Elohim created and made.
Sabbath is the sign
Ex. 31:13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am Yahweh that doth sanctify you.