The Torah Conflict
- Two types of persons.
- Those who does not understand or agree that those in the faith should be observing the Torah
- The second type of person might be one who already understands that we are to be observing the Torah,but still wants to be able to better understand and explain the difficult words of Paul.
- Pauls purpose was to call the whole Body of the Messiah back to the whole Word of Elohim.
- This is what the ministry of Yahshua was all about.
- Paul’s letters are consistent with the same message of the Messiah
- This letter is foundational, as Paul reveals his understanding of the Torah and how it relates to us in the faith.
There were three types of people in the 1st century.
- 1) House of Judah – Jews
- 2) House of Israel
- 3) Converted gentiles with no lineage to Israel.
- There were two tribes of Southern Israel, called Jews.
- There were those that were of the ten tribes of the northern Kingdom of Israel.
- This group of the House of Israel was divorced and the House of Judah was not:
Jeremiah 3:8 “Then I saw that for all the causes for which backsliding Israel had committed adultery, I had put her away and given her a certificate of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah did not fear, but went and played the harlot also.”
- The divorced House of Israel assimilated into the nations and learned the ways of the nations (or Gentiles) and gradually forgot the ways of the faith.
- Eventually, in the first century, they began coming back into the faith, because of the efforts of those like Paul. Gentiles simply means “of the
- nations.” The Hebrew word for this is “goyim.”
- There were also those that were Gentiles that were not traced back to the northern Kingdom of Israel, but they were also coming into the faith as well.
- So the “goyim” or gentiles consisted of the lost sheep of the House of Israel and also the nations that have no lin• eage to trace back to Israel.
- And of course, there were those that were mixed as well,meaning they are decedents of both the nations and the House of Israel. This is why Paul mentioned not to get too caught up in genealogy (Titus 3:9).
- There are those that were once part of Israel that need to come back to the faith, and those that have no linage to Israel that are invited as well to be grafted in.
- The main point is this, a central point of Yahshua’s ministry was to bring the House of Israel that became gentiles back together with the House of Judah, or Jews.
Matthew 15:24 “He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”
- The House of Israel became part of the nations, or gentiles. They became lost in the ways of the nations,and forgot about the ways of their Creator.
- All of this means that Paul was addressing a very diverse group in the letter to the Romans.