Romans 8 Teaching
Rom. 8:1-4 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Messiah Yahshua, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Messiah Yahshua hath made me free from the law of sin and death. 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, Yahweh sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
- Paul has explained how powerful sin is.
- People might want to please Yah. And they might try to obey his law. But human nature is too weak to oppose the power of sin.
- Yah’s law explains how he wants people to live.
- But sin seems like another law, which opposes Yah’s law
- So people feel as if they are struggling against sin.
- And their efforts to do the right thing seem hopeless.
- But the wonderful news is that Yah frees people from the power of sin.
- And He frees them completely. He forgives their sin. He makes them righteous.
- He does these things because of his grace.
- And he does these things for everyone who belongs to Messiah Yahshua.
- They are not guilty now. They have become Yah’s special,holy people.
Eph. 2:1-9 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: 2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. 2:4 But Yahweh, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Messiah, (by grace ye are saved;) 2:6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Messiah Yahshua: 2:7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Messiah Yahshua. 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of Yahweh: 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
- Sin is like a law that controls people.
- Nobody could avoid its power.
- And sin caused the most terrible troubles.
- People have to obey sin, but the only result of these efforts is death.
Rom. 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of Elohim is eternal life through Yahshua Messiah our Master.
- But Yah made another law that would free people from the law of sin.
- Paul does not mean the written law, which told people the nature of *sin.
- He is writing about a new law, which tells people how to live in order to please Yah.
- It would be in people’s hearts and minds.
- After Yahshua’s death, Yah sent the Holy Spirit.
- And the Spirit lives in us, if we are true followers of Yahshua
John. 14:16-17 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
- It is the Holy Spirit that gives life. It is the Holy Spirit who makes people able to breathe and so to live.
- It is the Holy Spirit who gives spiritual life.
Gal. 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
- And it is the Holy Spirit who raises dead bodies to life.
- The written law showed people the nature of sin.
- But it could not free people from sin, because nobody can become righteous by their own efforts.
- But Yah’s grace was more powerful than sin.
- And Yah had a plan to rescue people from the power of sin.
- We could not become righteous by our own efforts.
- And we could not obey Yah’s written law by our own efforts.
- But Yah has changed our situation.
- Now we can be free from guilty feelings and from the fear of punishment.
- The Holy Spirit will guide a Person. He will give to His people the power to live a holy life.
- Live by the Spirit. Then you will not do the sinful things that you want to do because of your human nature.
- Yetzer Hara-(evil inclination)