Must We Meet Others For Worship
- How important is gathering regularly on Sabbaths?
- With the destruction of the Temple and the razing of Jerusalem in the year 70 C.E, worship could no longer continue in Jerusalem.
- Yahshua had alluded to this with the woman at the well.
John 4:21-23 Yahshua saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. 4:22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
- But does the destruction of the Temple mean we no longer are to gather as a body for worship?
- Are New Testament believers exempt from congregating in observing His special days?
- Are we to worship by ourselves now that the Holy Spirit has come to earth, and not join with others when possible?
- If Yahweh expected ancient Israel to meet in worship on His Sabbaths, does He not expect us to join with others as well?
- He has given us the Holy Spirit to guide us, as well as His Word that defines and illustrates exactly how we must worship today as anciently.
- The disciples had obediently stayed on at Jerusalem even after the ascension of the Messiah to heaven in 31 C.E.
- They were observing the Feast of Weeks as a body when the outpouring of the Spirit took place.
- . Had they not observed the day of Pentecost, they would not have been present at Jerusalem and would therefore have missed receiving the Holy Spirit.
- Yahshua had promised that the Holy Spirit would come to this earth to remain forever.
John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever. Eph. 4:8-13 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. 4:9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? 4:10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.) 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Messiah: 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of Yahweh, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Messiah.
- Yahweh’s Spirit inspires and motivates the body of believers to cooperate and become a viable force proclaiming His truth.
- All things of Yahweh are to be done decently and in order.
1 Cor. 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.
Benefits of Fellowship
- These new converts of Yahshua did not go their separate ways.
- They continued steadfastly in the Apostles teaching and fellowship, in the breaking of bread and the prayers.
- There are those who might think that fellowship is unimportant.
- It was customary for ancient Israel to gather on the weekly Sabbaths as well as assemble for the seven annual Sabbaths.
- Sometimes it happens that those who may be quite sincere go their separate ways.
- Sadly, once away from the stablizing influence of the organized body they soon end up with strange, unbiblical, twisted doctrines.
- Fellowship with other sincere Bible students will often dispel false notions before they can take root.
- Close association with brethren who continue to study their Bible and apply the lessons learned can be an enormous help in our growth as we study and search for pure doctrine.
- Assembling on Yahweh’s Sabbaths allows us to encourage and strengthen the faith of others.
1 Cor. 12:7-11 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 12:9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
- The body of Messiah is composed of those who are called to learn deeper truth and become the living Body of the Messiah.
- Yahweh places within the body those He feels will best guide and edify His Assembly. 1Corinthians 12-18.
- Fellowship and sharing with those deeply committed to the Messiah is uplifting and inspiring.
- We all need to take time away from our worldly pursuits and spend time with others with whom we share the goal to be in that first resurrection.
- This helps keep our activities and purpose in proper perspective.
Neglect Not to Assemble
Heb. 10:24-25 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching