Are You Walking In The Flesh Or In The Spirit?
Are you walking in the flesh or in the spirit.
The Soul of Man
Genesis 2:7 Then YHWH Elohim formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into him the breath of life; and man became a living being.• Formed man of the dust of the ground -physical body.
- Breath of life -spirit of man, but not the word ruach.
- Man became a living being-commonly referred to as soul.
- The Hebrew word "nephesh" (נפש ) is translated into the English as "soul," or "being." Sometimes it is also translated as "life," or "creature".
- The word "nephesh" (נפש ) literally means “a breathing creature.”
- In the Hebrew text there is no distinction between the “nephesh” of an animal and the “nephesh” of a man.
- They are essentially the same thing.
Genesis 1:24 Then Elohim said, "Let the Earth bring forth living nephesh (creature[s]) after their kind: cattle and creeping things and beasts of the Earth after their kind"; and it was so.• Both beast and man are living, breathing creatures.
- They both have a nephesh.
Genesis 1:30 "And to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the sky and to everything that moves on the earth which has nephesh [life], every green plant for food;" and it was so.• Everything that moves), were given the plants to eat as food.
- In each of these passages, the word "nephesh" is translated into English differently. In Gen. 1vs.24 it is translated as "creature"; in Gen. 1vs.30 it is translated as "life"; and in Gen 2vs.7 it is translated as "being" or "soul". But why?
- What YHWH is speaking of in each of the foregoing texts with this word "nephesh", is the physical life of the creature.
- Concerning the nephesh of every living creature (be it bird, beast, or man), all have one thing in common: they all will die.
The Soul is Mortal
Ezekiel 18:4, 20 4 "Behold, all nepheshot (souls or beings) are Mine. The nephesh (soul) of the father as well as the nephesh (soul) of the son is Mine. The nephesh (soul) who sins will die.20 "The nephesh (person) that sins will die. The son will not bear the punishment for the father’s iniquity, nor will the father bear the punishment for the son’siniquity.The righteousness of the righteous will be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked will be upon himself.
- The body and the soul (nephesh) share this common characteristic: they are both mortal, that is, they both will die or cease to be.
- Aren’t the words “soul” and the “spirit” different words for the same thing? No!
- It is paramount to have a proper understanding of the difference between the soul and the spirit.
- Scriptures showing that the spirit is immortal.
Soul and Spirit are Different Things
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of YHWH is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing as far as the division of the soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.• The soul and the spirit of man can (and will) be separated by the Word of YHWH.
- The thoughts and intentions of the heart are correlated to the spirit (not the soul).
- YHWH will not judge the soul, because it will die (and then return to the dust of the ground).
- What YHWH will judge, then, are the thoughts and intentions of the heart (which correlate to a person’s immortal spirit).
Ecclesiastes 12:5-7 5 Furthermore, men are afraid of a high place and of terrors on the road; the almond tree blossoms, the grasshopper drags himself along, and the caperberry is ineffective. For man goes to his eternal home while mourners go about in the street, 6 before the silver cord is broken and the golden bowl is crushed, the pitcher by the well is shattered and the wheel at the cistern is crushed; 7 then the dust will return to the earth as it was, and the spirit (ruach) will return to Elohim who gave it.
- Notice that it is the ruach (spirit), not the soul, which has its connections with eternity.
Heart and Spirit
Psalm 51:10-13 10 Create in me a clean heart, Elohim, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.11 Do not cast me away from Your Presence, and do not take Your Set-Apart Spirit from me.12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, and sustain me with a willing spirit.13 I will teach transgressors Your ways, and sinners will turn back to You.• King David wrote this after his sin with Bat Sheva (Bathsheba). Notice that he is pleading with YHWH to cleanse his heart ,and restore his ruach (spirit).It is the heart and the spirit that are immortal; and not the soul.
Similarities/Differences between the Soul and the Spirit of Man.
- Each person has within his being, a mind that gives him the capacity to think and to reason.
- The capacity to feel emotions.
- Free will of man.
- The ability to desire things, and to choose.
- The characteristics of the spirit (the mind, the emotions and the individual will), all deal with the rightness or wrongness of any given situation. Morals and ethics are involved.
- In contrast, the characteristics of the soul (the mind, the emotions and the individual will), all deal solely with the flesh. They deal intrinsically with those things we think about, feel, and choose. It is important to note that our thoughts, feelings, and choices do not necessarily have anything to do with the rightness or wrongness of our spiritual existence. Sometimes our choices can be spiritually neutral.
- Nephesh (Fleshly life) Choices.
- When you get up in the morning and get dressed.
- That is a choice that may or may not affect you spiritually.
- Modest or immodest clothes.
- Spiritual Choices
- You will either make a choice to submit to the leading of the Set-apart Spirit, or to harden your heart against its leading when you read or hear the word of Yah.
- These things are all matters dealing with rightness and wrongness, with eternal matters.
- It is either righteousness or sin to you. These matters are all done in the spirit of man.
- It is very easy to operate in the power of the soul because that is what we grow up doing.
- Think in the soul.
- Feel in the soul.
- Learn to make choices in the soul.
- Pride ,Jealousy and our comfort zone (the recliner).
- If we are to have a mindset focused on eternal life.
- Then we must learn to grow beyond this initial fleshly mindset.
- Develop a mind that sets itself upon spiritual matters.
Operating in the Flesh
Romans 8:6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace.• So where is your mindset?
- Do you operate in the power of the soul?
- That is to say, do you operate under your own power?
- Or do you operate in the power of His Spirit?
- If you are operating in the power of the soul, then you are not building His kingdom.
- If you are operating in the power of the soul, then your mind is set on the flesh.
- Dead in your sins (perhaps without even knowing it).
- Things of the flesh appeal to you.
- You may even do ‘good works;’ but because these come from your own imaginations (rather than from the Spirit), they do not build His Kingdom.
Building with the Power of the Soul
1 Corinthians 3:11-13 11 For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Yahshua HaMashiach.12 Now if any man builds upon the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,13 each man’s work will become evident; for the day will show it, because it is to be revealed with fire; and the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work.
Building with the Power of the Spirit.
- Tickling the ears.
- Actively listen for His Voice, and to walk in obedience to His Spirit.
- Listening for His Voice.
- Requiring much effort, energy, and patience.
1 Corinthians] 2:1-3:1 2:1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of Elohim. 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Yahshua Messiah, and him impaled. 2:3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: 2:5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of Elohim. 2:6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought: 2:7 But we speak the wisdom of Elohim in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which Elohim ordained before the world unto our glory: 2:8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have impaled the Master of glory. 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which Elohim hath prepared for them that love him. 2:10 But Elohim hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of Elohim. 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of Elohim knoweth no man, but the Spirit of Elohim. 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of Elohim; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of Elohim. 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Spirit teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of Elohim: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 2:15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man. 2:16 For who hath known the mind of Yahweh, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Messiah. 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Messiah.