- Type and shadow.
Gen.17:11-14 And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you. 17:12 And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed. 17:13 He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant. 17:14 And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant.
- Yah gave Abraham a sign of that covenant .
- Many times we read right past significant issues never realizing the spiritual message Yah is trying to impart to us.
- Almost any thinking person would have to ask a simple question here. Why circumcision?
- What does that have to do with anything?
- Why is Yah so concerned about an extra little piece of skin?
- It brings to mind the scripture where Yah commands the children of Israel not to eat any leaven or even to have it in their house during the Feast of Unleavened Bread (Exodus 12:15).
- Does Yah have something against yeast?
- In both of these instances Yah seems to be pretty serious about the people's obedience to His commands.
- In both cases the people who didn't obey were to be cut off from Israel--left out of the covenant. This is serious business in Yah's eyes.
- Yahshua asked the Jews an important question.
- I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things? (John 3:12)
- Yah first established spiritual truth with natural laws.
- Once the principle of the thing was understood, He could make the jump to spiritual truth and application.
Col. 2:9-14 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Majesty in person bodily. 2:10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power: 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Messiah: 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of Yahweh, who hath raised him from the dead. 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his stake;
- The Law.
- New Testament scriptures speak of a "spiritual circumcision." This is what Yah is after.
- Yah was telling us that spiritual circumcision is not an optional part of Christianity.
- Not going through circumcision would be a breaking of Yah's spiritual covenant, just as failure to be circumcised was a breaking of His natural covenant.
- We need to understand this spiritual principle and yield our lives to it.
- How does this apply to our spiritual lives?
- First, many people make a profession of faith in Messiah, but their lives never changed.
- Its very nature, salvation is a life altering experience.
- It is a personal, spiritual encounter with Yah whereby a person's very nature is changed from the inside out.
- Spiritual circumcision is performed by the Spirit of Yah.
- When a person is born again a circumcision takes place.
- Something of the old flesh nature is cut away and the Spirit of Yah is imparted.
- Where no life change take place there has been no spiritual circumcision and thus no salvation.
- Baptism thus becomes the sign of the new covenant, just as circumcision was the sign of the old covenant.
- Spiritually I believe that Yah knows when we are ready to have something of our flesh cut off.