Peter Uses The Keys Of The Kingdom
Matt. 16:13 When Yahshua came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? 16:14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist : some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Messiah, the Son of the living Elohim. 16:17 And Yahshua answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my assembly; and the gates of the grave shall not prevail against it. 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
- Yahshua does not give Peter first place among the apostles.
- Nor does Yahshua make him the foundation of the congregation.
- Yahshua himself is the Rock upon which his congregation will be built.
1 Cor. 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Yahshua Messiah.
Eph. 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Yahshua Messiah himself being the chief corner stone.
- Peter, though, is to receive three keys.
- He will have the privilege of opening the opportunity for groups of people to enter the Kingdom of the heavens.
- Peter would use the first key at Pentecost 33 C.E.
- Showing repentant Jews and proselytes what they must do to be saved.
Acts. 2:37-39 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Yahshua Messiah for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as Yahweh our Elohim shall call.
- He would use the second to open to believing Samaritans the opportunity to enter Elohim’s Kingdom.
Acts8:14-17 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of Elohim, they sent unto them Peter and John: 8:15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Spirit: 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Master Yahshua.) 8:17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.
- Then, in 36 C.E., Peter would use the third to extend that opportunity to uncircumcised Gentiles, Cornelius and others.
Acts. 10:44-48 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Spirit fell on all them which heard the word. 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Spirit. 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify Elohim. Then answered Peter, 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Spirit as well as we? 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Yahshua. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
Yahshua turns his back on Peter.
- , Yahshua’ apostles are troubled when he foretells the sufferings and death that he will soon face in Jerusalem.
- Not grasping that Yahshua is to be resurrected to heavenly life.
Matt. 16:22-23 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Master: this shall not be unto thee. 16:23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of Elohim, but those that be of men.
- Yahshua now calls others besides the apostles and explains that it will not be easy to be his follower.
Mark. 8:34-35 And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his stake, and follow me. 8:35 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the evangel's, the same shall save it.
- Yes, to prove worthy of Yahshua’ favor, his followers must be courageous and self-sacrificing.
Mark. 8:38 Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.
Matt. 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.