- Yahweh Will Help Israel Conquer the Land.
- When Yah gives Israel its land, the people are supposed to "utterly destroy" the nations already living there.
- The Israelites are not to intermarry with these people because, presumably, the children of these marriages would be taught to worship other gods, and Yahweh would be angry.
- Moses now tells Israel why Yah chose them.
- Sure, every other group of people was larger than them.
- But Yahweh loved them anyway because he made a covenant with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in Genesis.
- Yahweh is loyal to those who love him and keep his commandments, but he punishes those who reject him.
- Translation: free stuff if you follow the laws, and a plague on your house if you break them.
- So if they serve Yah well, they'll have lots of food, children, land, and help from disease.
- All of this leads up to the conquest of Canaan.
- If the people are afraid.
- They should remember what Yahweh did in Egypt.
- Yah will fight for them, but only gradually.
- If Israel conquers the land too quickly, wild animals may become too plentiful.
- And hey, guess what? No idols. What—you already heard that? Too bad. Hear it again.