A Warning Against Pride
- Yah’s work of building humility in Israel during the wilderness wanderings.
- Yah humbled and tested Israel.
Deut.8:1-2 All the commandments which I command thee this day shall ye observe to do, that ye may live, and multiply, and go in and possess the land which Yahweh sware unto your fathers. 8:2 And thou shalt remember all the way which Yahweh thy Elohim led thee these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments, or no.
- Every command you must be careful to observe.
- Yah called Israel to a complete obedience.
- This obedience was to be based on remembering what Yahweh had done among them in the wilderness.
- Yah humbled Israel. He brought them to a place where all they could do was depend on Him.
- They had nothing else, and no one else to count on.
- It is where our heart is while we are in the humble place that Yah is really concerned about.
- Yah wants us to be content in the humble place He puts us.
- Yah tested Israel. It was not because He didn’t know their hearts, but because they didn’t know their hearts.
Yah’s Education of Israel in the Wilderness.
Deut.8:3-5 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of Yahweh doth man live. 8:4 Thy raiment waxed not old upon thee, neither did thy foot swell, these forty years. 8:5 Thou shalt also consider in thine heart, that, as a man chasteneth his son, so Yahweh thy Elohim chasteneth thee.
- If we are not humble and not teachable, there is then no point to the rest of any of Yah’s education.
- Allowed you to hunger, and fed you manna.
- The next grade of Yah’s education is total dependence on Yahweh.
- Israel had to rely on Yah beyond their own knowledge.
- Beyond their own ability.
- That He might make you know that man shall not live by bread alone.
- Sadly, many still live by bread alone, living only for material things, for what can be bought or sold or earned or possessed materially.
- Anyone thinking they live for bread alone is actually one of the living dead.
- It is the word of Yah that is our food and substance, and not our own dreams or imaginations.
Jer.23:28 The prophet that hath a dream, let him tell a dream; and he that hath my word, let him speak my word faithfully. What is the chaff to the wheat? saith Yahweh.
- Yah’s Word, Suck it down into your soul; you cannot have too much of it. Feed on it day and night, for thus will Yah make you to live the life that is life indeed.
Blessings in the Land for Israel.
Deut.8:6-10 Therefore thou shalt keep the commandments of Yahweh thy Elohim, to walk in his ways, and to fear him. Deu 8:7 For Yahweh thy Elohim bringeth thee into a good land, a land of brooks of water, of fountains and depths that spring out of valleys and hills; Deu 8:8 A land of wheat, and barley, and vines, and fig trees, and pomegranates; a land of oil olive, and honey; Deu 8:9 A land wherein thou shalt eat bread without scarceness, thou shalt not lack any thing in it; a land whose stones are iron, and out of whose hills thou mayest dig brass. Deu 8:10 When thou hast eaten and art full, then thou shalt bless Yahweh thy Elohim for the good land which he hath given thee.
- If Israel would put their focus on every word that proceeds from the mouth of Yahweh, then Yahweh would take care of all the material things - and bring them into a materially abundant land.
- Yah is not against material things - except when they come between us and Him.
- Yah wanted to materially bless a spiritually obedient Israel.
- The reference to iron and copper in the hills is remarkably exact.
- Ancient copper mines and smelters have been discovered in recent years.
- Then you shall bless Yahweh your Elohim for the good land which He has given you.
Matt.6:33 But seek first the kingdom of Yah and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.
A Warning Against Pride.
- The danger of pride in the blessed life.
Deut. :11-17 Beware that thou forget not Yahweh thy Elohim, in not keeping his commandments, and his judgments, and his statutes, which I command thee this day: 8:12 Lest when thou hast eaten and art full, and hast built goodly houses, and dwelt therein; 8:13 And when thy herds and thy flocks multiply, and thy silver and thy gold is multiplied, and all that thou hast is multiplied; 8:14 Then thine heart be lifted up, and thou forget Yahweh thy Elohim, which brought thee forth out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage; 8:15 Who led thee through that great and terrible wilderness, wherein were fiery serpents, and scorpions, and drought, where there was no water; who brought thee forth water out of the rock of flint; 8:16 Who fed thee in the wilderness with manna, which thy fathers knew not, that he might humble thee, and that he might prove thee, to do thee good at thy latter end; 8:17 And thou say in thine heart, My power and the might of mine hand hath gotten me this wealth.
- Beware that you do not forget Yahweh your Elohim by not keeping His commandments.
- When everything is fine and our lives are filled with abundance, it is not hard to have our hearts lifted up.
- We can easily forget Yahweh Himself and forget it was all His work on our behalf.
- My power and the might of my hand have gained me this wealth.
- This is rarely said with the lips; it is said instead in the heart.
The Correcting Principle against Pride in the Blessed Life.
Deut. 8:18 But thou shalt remember Yahweh thy Elohim: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.
- Remember Yahweh your Elohim: In times of abundance.
- It is easy to forget Yahweh, or to at least no longer seek Him with the urgency we once had.
- Yet we must see that Yah gives us the body, the brain, and the talent. It is all of Yah.
- We use our resources to advance His kingdom.
Deut.8:19 And it shall be, if thou do at all forget Yahweh thy Elohim, and walk after other mighty ones, and serve them, and worship them, I testify against you this day that ye shall surely perish. 8:20 As the nations which Yahweh destroyeth before your face, so shall ye perish; because ye would not be obedient unto the voice of Yahweh your Elohim.
The Penalty of Pride in the Blessed Life.
- I testify against you this day that you shall surely perish.
- Moses loved Israel, but he loved Yah more.
- As the nations which Yahweh destroys before you, so shall you perish.
- Pride is the greatest danger in our lives.
- Satan prizes a proud believer over the most notorious sinner.
- He looks at the proud believer and says, “Now there’s a man just like me!”