- To “afflict our souls” on this day.
- Working to understand the nature of this set apart day.
- William Tyndale, while laboring to translate the 1526 English Bible
- No word to convey the doctrine of Yahshua’s sacrifice, which accomplished both the remission of sin and the reconciliation of man to Elohim.
- So, he coined a word that would encompass both actions.
- Appeasement through sacrifice) and forgiveness.
- His proposed word was comprised of two parts.
- At and onement, which also means reconciliation.
- Reconciliation comes from Latin roots “re” meaning “again”; “con” meaning “with”, and “sella” meaning “seat”.
- Re/con/ciliation, therefore, literally, and simply, means “to sit again with.” It does not contain the aspect of forgiveness in response to self affliction.
- Tyndale defined his word to include the idea of affliction and forgiveness, not just forgiveness.
- On exactly the tenth day of this seventh month there shall be a Day of Atonements.
- Yom HaKipurim, meaning the “Day of the Coverings”
- It shall be an holy convocation.
- A qodesh miqra] unto you; and ye shall afflict [anah – to look down upon self, abase self, deal harshly with, defile, force down, humble, hurt, ravish, submit self.
- . It is to be a Sabbath of complete rest to you, and you shall humble your souls; on the ninth of the month at evening, from evening until evening.
Ex. 30:10 And Aaron shall make an atonement upon the horns of it once in a year with the blood of the sin offering of atonements: once in the year shall he make atonement upon it throughout your generations: it is most holy unto Yahweh.
- There is to be a complete abasement of ourselves due to our moral frailty, our flesh, our sinfulness. In response to our genuine display of humiliation to Yahweh.
- He then provides a covering for us.
- His covering hides our weaknesses and fallibilities.
- But this Day of Atonement is the foreshadowing of the REAL Day of Atonements.
- when we shall have incorruptible bodies, wherein there are no corruptible thoughts, corruptible feelings or corruptible actions.
- THAT is the Day that THIS day is preparing us for.