Yahweh bless you and keep you.
- The blessing of Yahweh very much involved material blessings
Genesis 22:17-18 That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;
Gen 22:18 And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.
Leviticus 26:3-13 If ye walk in my statutes, and keep my commandments, and do them; Lev 26:4 Then I will give you rain in due season, and the land shall yield her increase, and the trees of the field shall yield their fruit. Lev 26:5 And your threshing shall reach unto the vintage, and the vintage shall reach unto the sowing time: and ye shall eat your bread to the full, and dwell in your land safely. Lev 26:6 And I will give peace in the land, and ye shall lie down, and none shall make you afraid: and I will rid evil beasts out of the land, neither shall the sword go through your land. Lev 26:7 And ye shall chase your enemies, and they shall fall before you by the sword. Lev 26:8 And five of you shall chase an hundred, and an hundred of you shall put ten thousand to flight: and your enemies shall fall before you by the sword. Lev 26:9 For I will have respect unto you, and make you fruitful, and multiply you, and establish my covenant with you. Lev 26:10 And ye shall eat old store, (ישׁן- yâshân–OLD Remain long ) and bring forth the old because of the new. Lev 26:11 And I will set my tabernacle among you: and my soul shall not abhor you. Lev 26:12 And I will walk among you, and will be your Elohim, and ye shall be my people. Lev 26:13 I am Yahweh your Elohim, which brought you forth out of the land of Egypt, that ye should not be their bondmen; and I have broken the bands of your yoke, and made you go upright.
- Such blessing was an integral part of the covenant. It is this factor that justifies our prayer, ‘Give us this day our daily bread’ in the covenant prayer. Matt 6:11
- The priest was thus assuring Yahweh that they were worthy of blessing because they were being obedient
- And was calling on Yahweh to provide such blessings and make their lives prosperous and wholesome.
“And keep you.”
Psalms 121 A Song of degrees. I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. Psa 121:2 My help cometh from Yahweh, which made heaven and earth. Psa 121:3 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber. Psa 121:4 Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep. Psa 121:5 Yahweh is thy keeper: Yahweh is thy shade upon thy right hand. Psa 121:6 The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night. Psa 121:7 Yahweh shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul. Psa 121:8 Yahweh shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.
- This combination of blessing and keeping occurs regularly and justifies us in seeing the two as one
Deuteronomy 4:40; Thou shalt keep therefore his statutes, and his commandments, which I command thee this day, that it may go well with thee, and with thy children after thee, and that thou mayest prolong thy days upon the earth, which Yahweh thy Elohim giveth thee, for ever.
Deuteronomy 5:33 Ye shall walk in all the ways which Yahweh your Elohim hath commanded you, that ye may live, and that it may be well with you, and that ye may prolong your days in the land which ye shall possess.
- Deuteronomy 7:12-24; Deuteronomy 30:19-20 : Psalms 67:1
- This was what the priest was seen as calling down on Israel.
Yahweh make his face to shine on you.’
- The shining of the face on someone indicated an attitude of love, lovingkindness and mercy.
- It was the message of the lampstand in His dwellingplace. This involved saving them in His covenant love
Psalms 31:16 Make thy face to shine upon thy servant: save me for thy mercies' sake.
Psalms 80:3 Turn us again, O Elohim, and cause thy face to shine; and we shall be saved.
Psalms 80:7 Turn us again, O God of hosts, and cause thy face to shine; and we shall be saved.
Psalms 80:19 Turn us again, O God of hosts, and cause thy face to shine; and we shall be saved.
- It was a prayer that the shining of His face on them would be their light and salvation
Psalms 27:1 A Psalm of David. Yahweh is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? Yahweh is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
- It therefore also involved teaching them His statutes through which they would see light
Psalms 119:135 Make thy face to shine upon thy servant; and teach me thy statutes.
Psalms 36:9; For with thee is the fountain of life: in thy light shall we see light.
Psalms 43:3 O send out thy light and thy truth: let them lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles.
- It is the opposite of His hiding His face from them
Psalms 67:1-2 To the chief Musician on Neginoth, A Psalm or Song. Elohim be merciful unto us, and bless us; and cause his face to shine upon us; Selah. Psa 67:2 That thy way may be known upon earth, thy saving health among all nations.
- As a result of the priest’s words the word of Yahweh would go forth to do His will
Isaiah 55:11. So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
‘And be gracious to you.’
- Here the priest is calling on the direct activity of Yahweh in unmerited grace without which they could do nothing.
Yahweh lift up his countenance on you.’
- To lift up the countenance was to look on someone
- In this case with favour. This involved putting gladness in their hearts and watching over His people and keeping them at peace.
Psalms 4:6-8 There be many that say, Who will shew us any good? Yahweh, lift thou up the light of thy countenance upon us. Psa 4:7 Thou hast put gladness in my heart, more than in the time that their corn and their wine increased. Psa 4:8 I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Yahweh, only makest me dwell in safety.
- The priest was seeking to bring them into a place where Elohim would look on them and bring His peace on them, and was by his words calling for Yahweh’s gracious response.
And give you peace.’
- Finally the priest calls on Yahweh to give them peace, peace in their hearts, peace between each other, peace with the world outside, and above all peace with Elohim.
“So shall they put my name on the children of Israel, and I will bless them.”
- By this divinely given blessing the priests would be putting Yahweh’s name on the children of Israel. By this He would be stamping them as His